Sun Lakes Murder Suspect Walks After Less Than a Month

Photo courtesy:

Friday, February 1, 2019 Tonya Harper was murdered in Sun Lakes, AZ.  Reports say that Tonya, 42, was visiting Sun Lakes and staying with her sister.  While she was sleeping her nephew stabbed her in the neck.  The stabbing was fatal.  The nephew of the victim is only 14 years old, but he is being charged with first degree murder.  When the news of this brutal attack was broadcasted, it was uncertain if this young man would be tried as a juvenile or as an adult.  The decision was ultimately up to the Maricopa County Attorney’s office, but upon arrest the teen was brought to a juvenile detention center.  Since then it has been decided that he will in fact be charged as an adult.

Watch full report from ABC15 Arizona

Upon investigation it is believed that this act was in fact premeditated.  He will also be charged with preventing the use of a telephone in an emergency.  Eleven phone lines were cut prior to this attack, and cell phones in the home were hidden and found in the boys room.  Motives for this attack remain unclear.  Reasons about why this happened, or what the boy was thinking haven’t been published.  As if this story wasn’t already odd enough, the boy was released from jail after less than one month!

Yesterday we learned that the boy accused of killing his aunt was released from jail due to his mother posting his bail.  This bail was set at $1 million.  Usually bonds set that high are to prevent the suspect from release, but this mother didn’t let that stop her from getting her son out of jail.  This $1 million transaction took place less than a month after the fatal attack.  Sun Lakes locals are shocked by this news, as this matter was all within the family.  Outsiders can’t imagine what has taken place in the mind of this mother, after her son brutally killed her sister.  But this mom ultimately decided the boy would be better off on house arrest, at home with her.  She clearly does not see him as a threat, so maybe there is more to the story as to why this ever happened in the first place.

For now, the boy whose name is unreleased due to age, will remain on house arrest with an ankle monitor.  He is not to have contact outside of his mother.  Neighbors in the area have shown concern for the boy being out of jail.  Uncertainty about his mental condition certainly follows after such a brutal act.  The city of Sun Lakes, AZ will anxiously await details to come.  To see more on the release of this suspect visit



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here